Monday, August 13, 2012

Here I go...

As some of you may or may not know, I am turning 29 a week from today. August 20th, 2012 will be the last birthday of my twenties. How in the hell did that happen? I'm not particularly scared of aging, but being confronted with the idea that my twenties somehow passed me by is...well, depressing. I've done a lot in 29 years, but I've also intended to do so much more and just got lazy somewhere along the way. I'm all too aware of how far behind the curve I am. I'm single, unhealthy, I smoke, I never go out anymore, and all I do is work. I'm pretty sure there is more to life. I've made plenty of New Years Resolutions, set all kinds of goals, and talked a big game, but I rarely do any of the things I say I'm going to.

"I'm going to lose 100 pounds..."
"I'm going to read more books..."
"I'm going to be more adventurous...."
"I'm going to volunteer more..."
"I'm going to quit smoking..."
"I'm going to start dancing again..."

All of these (and more) have been verbalized in some form or another for the last ten years, and yet here I sit. It's time. All of this has been brewing inside me for years, and it finally hit me that 30 is right around the corner. Maybe if I document everything through a blog/vlog, I'll actually go through with it. I need something to hold myself accountable. I need the support of my family and friends to make this work. This is me asking for it.

I have one week before I change my life forever. Here's to being crazy enough to actually do this...

2 comments:

  1. #1: Happy Birthday!
    B): 30 is simply a terrifying benchmark. No getting around it. I think it is the worst birthday when it comes to disecting the things you HAVEN'T done. It can be a good motivator; but some of it's not worth beating yourself up over, either.
    I also rationalize my lack of progress in some areas to spending ALL but 6 months of my 20's in L.A. It's Neverland.
    Expand alittle further on your list, with subcategories of how to go about achieving those goals. Breaking down a detailed plan of action, can make it less daunting; and give you some better focus on your list of pending accomplishments.
    xoxoxo
    Casey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! 30 is nothing, get over it :) Besides, think of what you have accomplished - there's only a small percentage your age who have a master's. But I love your ideas for improving your life. It sounds like you have a lot of friends with great advice - listen to them!
    As Nike says, "Just do it!"
    Love you!
    PS Aren't you impressed that an old foagie like me can figure out how to comment on your blog???????

    ReplyDelete