Thursday, August 30, 2012

Yay! I've been accepted!

So, Item # 6  on my list (again, these are in no particular order) is to Volunteer for the Special Olympics. I submitted my official application yesterday and received the above email back! I'm seriously stoked. I've been talking about doing this for quite some time, ever since I was first introduced to SO, and the amazing volunteers and athletes within the organization a few years ago. My best friend from college, Shawn, suggested that we do our Documentary project with SO and I have to admit, I was nervous. I had zero experience working with people who had special needs and wasn't sure how to be. I was the director of our film, and somehow I had to connect with something completely unknown to my world at that time. That project truly opened my eyes. Not only did the athletes make me feel totally welcome, but I was instantly awed by everyone. These athletes were inspiring and changed every single notion I had ever thought or unknowingly assumed.  I met some absolutely amazing individuals throughout that whole process, and I've wanted to get involved ever since. Inevitably, as with all of the other items on this list, I made excuses for why I didn't have the time. Well, now I'm making the time. There's absolutely no reason for me not to. I seriously cannot wait to get started! I've also decided to include my documentary below, in case anyone is interested in checking it out. 


1 comment: