Friday, September 28, 2012

Staying committed

I surprised myself this morning. I've been sick for the last two days and yet I still forced myself to get up and hit the gym this morning. Old Nikki would have hit snooze and said, "Eff it. I don't feel good." But I didn't. I got up, walked across my complex to the gym and did a half an hour workout. I can definitely feel the motivation coming back in a big way.

Tomorrow is going to be an awesome day. I've been asked to speak as a Birthmother for a group of new potential adoptive families at Catholic Charities. These are some of my favorite events as a Birthmother because these parents are terrified of me. They've (usually) never met a Birthmother before, and they almost always have an idea in their head of what I'm not. It's an opportunity for me to encourage these future adoptive parents to consider open adoption, and to not be scared of birthmothers. My favorite part is questions and answers where I make them all freak out by saying that I only looked at one profile of a family, and didn't even glance at another. God put my adoptive family on top of the stack of profiles for a reason. They were meant to be the parents of my daughter (we were soulmates). It was the greatest decision I've ever made, and I really am the luckiest person on this planet to have such an amazing relationship with the parents of my girlie. I can't wait for tomorrow... Don't worry, you'll get to see some of it, I'm bringing a camera ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment